1000SHABD - A WORLD OF MY DREAMS
A PHOTO ESSAY COMPETITION
The Centre for Conflict Studies (www.centre4conflictstudies.org) and Prashant (www.humanrightsindia.in) announce a photo essay competition "The World of My Dreams".
A picture, it is said, is worth a thousand words.
The goals of 1000SHABD competition are:
1. to be able to reflect on the life and environment of ordinary people
2. to communicate one's ideas, thoughts and beliefs to others while being open to differing views and opinions
3. to empathise with others
4. to encourage creativity and talent
The vision of 1000SHABD is to encourage and inspire youth to reflect on how best they can contribute towards the building of a more humane, just, inclusive and peaceful society.
Who can participate?
This competition is open to students between the ages of 13 to 18 years who reside and go to school in Gujarat. Children (in this age group) who do not have an opportunity to go to school may also participate, provided they submit their entries through a registered NGO.
Students are asked to submit a photo (digital) with an appropriate caption (of not more than seven words) and accompanied by an essay of no less than 150 words and no more than 200 words.
Photos and essays should focus on one of the following themes:
* Building Community Institutions (2012 International Year of Cooperatives)
* Poverty and Development
* Preventing Conflict/ Violence
* Caring for Planet Earth
* Promoting Social Justice
* Celebrating Diversity
* Education for all
* Understanding Culture
* Healthy Communities
* Upholding Human Rights
* Sustainable Energy (2012 Year of Sustainable Energy for all)
* People and Places
Essays and captions should be constructive, fostering understanding, tolerance and respect for all. The organisers reserve the right to edit content.
By submitting an entry, each contestant agrees to the following rules of this contest:
1. Submissions should include name, age, school (or NGO) and grade of the student. The applicant should also indicate where and when the picture was taken.
2. All photos must be shot only within the state of Gujarat.
3. Photograph should tell one distinct story in one of the areas or categories described above. Submissions (Photos, captions and essays) will be judged on clarity, expression and creativity.
5. Submissions will be accepted from the period beginning 1st of August 2012 trough 10th of October 2012
6. Judging will take place in October by a panel of judges and winners will be informed by 25th of November 2012
7. All winning photographs become the property of Centre for Conflict Studies and Prashant for their use and purpose of sharing the message of peace on its websites, poster and a book.
8. Submissions means agreement to participate in a symposium to be held in Ahmedabad sometime in January 2012.
Entry Fees - None
There will be two screenings:
Selection will be done by 1000SHABD committee.
Within a week of submission, individuals will be notified of their entry's acceptance or rejection.
Final selection of winners will be done by the 1000SHABD judges.
There will be twenty given:
Visionary: Rs. 20000 (1 award)
Peacebuilder: Rs. 15000 (1 award)
Enlightened: Rs. 10000 (1 award)
Inspirational: Rs. 5000 (4 awards)
Promising: Rs. 2500 (3 awards)
Honorable Mentions: Will receive a certificate and a poster of their photograph (10 awards)
All entries that have passed the initial screening will be exhibited in an online gallery, and available for sale (postcards, posters).
A book will be published and available for sale by the end of the year. Awardees will receive a copy of the publication.
A one day symposium will be held in August 2012 (date to be announced later) to honour winners of the competition. All participants will be given opportunities to present and speak about their work.